Mashed Potato Casserole
Recipe file created December 13, 1999.
It's not easy to have leftover mashed potatoes, but if you manage to, this is a delicious way to use them.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Fry the onions in some margarine. Mix into the potatoes. Stir in parsley. Press half of the potatoes into a casserole dish. Evenly spread the cooked ham or bacon on top. Sprinkle with some cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle more cheese on top. Combine breadcrumbs and margarine. Sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until well heated and cheese is melted.
- leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- ham or bacon, chopped
- cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Use cheese sauce instead of grated cheese.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of peas to the potatoes.
- Use sliced cooked sausages in place of the ham.
- Try Feta cheese or Havarti for a different flavour.
- For a milder flavour, try Mozzarella or Edam.
- Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on top befor adding the cheese.
- Use a layer of cooked fish (cod, salmon, etc.)in place of the ham. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme on the fish. Use Swiss cheese.
The main rule for casseroles is Anything Goes. If you think it would be good, add it.
Roxanne's Kitchen --
Jeffrey Home Page --
Recipe Index --
Fun Links --